Top 3 Backend Technologies We Prefer
28 Apr 2022
Business owners are always on the lookout for the best ways to solve their software needs. In your software development journey, one of the many important decisions you need to make so as to get the desired end product is the choice of the backend technology. There are a large number of different backend technologies out there, and deciding which one your project needs can be tough, especially if you are new in the tech and programming world.
Our take on this is that you should find the right software outsourcing company, one with a good reputation and high-quality services, and trust the rest to them. The right outsourcer can thoroughly research and evaluate your project and suggest the tech stack that it needs for successful development. Keep in mind that each outsourcing company has already a set selection of tools and technologies that they work with which means that their recommendation will be based on what they offer that fits your project the best. So, a little research of your own would be quite useful in both the choice of the outsourcer and the tech stack.
To help you navigate through the numerous complicated decisions of your software development, we have made a list of top 3 backend technologies that we have mastered and come to prefer.
.NET is a powerful backend technology that is well suited for businesses that need to outsource their software development. It offers a wide range of features and benefits that make it an excellent choice for companies that want to get the most out of their software development efforts. Additionally, .NET is easy to learn and use, making it a great option for business owners who are not technically inclined.
As with any other software development technology, .NET has also undergone its fair share of evolution and been refined into the present version of itself that’s drastically different from what it was at its inception, in the beginning of 2000s. First of all, let’s clarify a few important points about .NET:
- .NET is NOT a language. It’s a software development framework and ecosystem aimed at making desktop and web application development easier and more efficient.
- The .NET framework is language neutral and supports multiple languages (C#, F#, and Visual Basic), C# being the most used among them.
- Apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, or Android can be built with .NET.
Let’s see why we consider .NET to be among the most demanded backend technologies in 2022:
- .NET is open-source, robust, and allows you to build a variety of products on any operating system. The best feature of the latest version of .NET is most probably its compatibility with numerous platforms and operating systems. The following components and tools of .NET come in handy for developers’ and business owners’ needs alike: ASP.NET for web apps, Xamarin for mobile and macOS, and .NET Core for desktop applications (games, ML services, etc.).
- .NET is easy to deploy and maintain. Not to get too technical, but .NET’s “default component isolation” feature deserves a mention here. This feature highly simplifies the code deployment process by separating the newly deployed pieces of code thus preventing possible application failures. You don’t want to prolong your long-awaited product release, do you?
- .NET is constantly improving in performance while the size of the framework keeps reducing. The latest version of .NET shows about 15% improvement in application performance while its size has been cut down by 22% making it quite lightweight and reliable.
- .NET applications are highly scalable. Should your business expand after the release of your product, worry not. Your tech team can handle the required changes of your app built with .NET quite easily. You won’t need to build a new application or change the tech stack.
.NET is evolving fast with new and improved versions being released every now and then. It’s important to keep up with them to be in tune with the latest trends and features as well as not to miss the dates when Microsoft stops the support of a given old version.
All in all, .NET is a great choice for enterprise-scale projects as Microsoft provides a wide range of tools for building and cross-integrating different enterprise products, be they internal or public.
Python is a widely used high-level interpreted language that is known for its ease of use and readability. It is a popular choice for backend development due to its powerful data processing and analysis abilities, as well as its large library of modules and open source community. This language is also a great choice for businesses that want to outsource their software development needs, as it is known for its fast turnaround times and reasonable rates.
Python has been around since the early ‘90s and has managed to become extremely popular in the software development world. A recent study shows that Python is one of the top three most used languages among developers from different countries. So, what is it that makes Python the go-to language when it comes to backend development and why do we believe that it will keep its solid position all around 2022 and beyond?
- Python is the favorite child in the family. This language is indeed highly popular in the developers’ communities worldwide. It was awarded the renowned TIOBE Programming Language of the Year award two times in a row. The TIOBE index shows the popularity of different programming languages. The results are based on the number of skillful developers worldwide, the courses, as well as third-party vendors. Believe it or not, the popularity of the backend technology you want to use does actually matter. It will help you start your project development in a shorter time and give you the chance to choose a team (whether in-house or offshore) from a large talent pool.
- Simple implementation hence faster project development: The syntax of Python is quite simple, concise, and easy to implement. This allows for faster fixing of bugs and improves work productivity. Additionally, there is no need for the use of low-level functions such as memory management in order to develop more complex features. A vivid example of the ease of use of Python can be shown in comparison with other programming languages. For instance, the same given functionality developed in many other languages, say, Java, would take four to five times longer than doing it with Python. This is a huge benefit to all parties involved: the developers and the business owners alike. It can highly reduce the time to market for the product and increase its chances of standing out among the competitors with similar products.
- Python is supported by a wealth of frameworks and libraries. This feature might sound like a mere technical privilege for web developers only. But at a closer glance, you will see that it also enhances the better and higher quality development of your product. How? When your development team is able to automate certain time-consuming tasks, they get more time to focus on the business logic of your project. As a result, the end product will be more client-centric and will provide better user experience than you expect. There are different frameworks that support Python and each of them addresses various needs. That’s why the choice of the framework is made according to the project requirements. The most popular Python frameworks are Django and Flask. The former is a high-level framework, while the latter is a microframework with basic tools and functionalities. Flask is usually the go-to for smaller projects.
Python is a great choice when it comes to developing big data analytics platforms, training AI models, building educational, healthcare, and fintech apps and projects (Python uses a variety of data science libraries that are the right tools for financial apps), as well as being implemented in machine learning.
As far as security is concerned, this language can offer the best security if your development team does the coding properly. So, make sure to hire qualified and responsible specialists because safety is a crucial factor, especially for the development of financial, educational, or healthcare apps.
Another decisive factor in the safety of a programming language is its popularity. As noted above, you won’t have a problem with this in case of Python as this language is highly popular. The numerous libraries and frameworks greatly enhance Python’s security. Django and Flask come with some built-in features that provide protection from many types of web attacks.
Having been in use for nearly 4 decades now, C++ is definitely going to be one of the most demanded languages in 2022 as well. It is a powerful, feature-rich, high-performing, and low-latency language used in a wide variety of fields. C++ can be found in pretty much everything that makes up the modern tech world: search engines, VR applications, operating systems, web browsers, gaming, video editing, telecommunications, flight control systems, etc.. It also has a large community of developers who are always working to improve the language.
C++ has essentially evolved over the years and come up with better and more versatile features. Let’s have a look at some of the main reasons why we placed it in our list of top backend technologies:
- Rich history builds reputation and ensures longevity. C++ is an extension of the C programming language developed in 1972. Initially called C with Classes by its founder Bjarne Stroustrup, C++ was created to ease the building of large-scale projects. As a result, C++ came to be faster than C and much more efficient in many aspects. It has built a strong reputation over the years of its development becoming one of the most reliable languages out there. The history of C++ is definitely a solid foundation that guarantees its further use for years to come. The huge number of programs written in C++ already require regular work to keep them going. Not to mention the fact that the demand for C++ grows as business owners witness its efficacy and successful results on the existing ones. In other words, C++ is the golden oldie of web programming.
- Compatibility with modern databases. Such modern databases as MySQL, MongoDB, MemSQL are written in C++. This is done in order to keep the language constantly updated to support all the latest features. Such high-end applications as Twitter, WordPress, Youtube, and Facebook also use C++ databases.
- C++ offers unparalleled portability. C++ has a high availability of compilers on many platforms hence programs built with this language can easily be transferred from platform to platform. Such languages as Java are considered the go-to choices when it comes to cross-platform app development, but the truth is that they are implemented in C++ first. In fact, portability is one of the main reasons why C++ will surely stick around for a long while. Most applications that need multi-platform or multi-device development are often built with C++.
- C++ is highly versatile. Since its inception, developers have spent long hours building libraries for C++, brushing up and refining its methodology, creating and developing test cases to have the best possible version of the language at a given time. This is a continuous process and a huge reason behind the versatility of C++. Thanks to the commitment and hard work of its community, C++ has become one of the most adaptable languages that adjusts fast to the changes of programmer and software demands. Moreover, C++ also boasts a high compatibility with a large number of other languages.
- Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, Linux: these are the world’s major operating systems all built with C++. What does this mean? It simply means that if your product is customer-facing, most probably it will be used with one of the above-listed operating systems. This, in its turn, means that you will need to integrate with C++ one way or another.
If price, quality, and delivery speed are the main factors that you are guided by when choosing a programming language for your project, then C++ is definitely worth taking into consideration. It is fast, foundational, and highly efficient.
How to Choose the Right Backend Technology?
We have also gathered a few general tips for choosing the right backend technology for your project in case you have one in mind that is not listed here. Thus, when looking for a backend technology, you'll want to consider the following:
- Ease of use: How easy is the technology to use? Does it require a lot of coding or programming knowledge?
- Functionality: What kind of functionality does the technology offer? Can it easily connect to your database and other systems?
- Scalability: Can the technology scale effectively as your business grows?
- Support: Is there a strong community or support network around the technology? Are there plenty of developers available to help with your project?
- Cost: How much does the technology cost? Is it affordable for your business?
At the end of the day, it comes down to the specifics and requirements of your project as to which backend technology would be the best fit for you. If you are in doubt, contact us and our team will guide you in the right direction and help you make the right decision.
Transform your business with Volo
Ready to discuss your next tech project?